The road to wellness isn't straight, clear, or predictable. It's a path you forge yourself.

Monday, September 13, 2010

Six Foods that Boost Fertility

I'm currently reading two books about how you can improve your chances of conceiving by changing your diet.  One of these books is called "Getting Pregnant:  The New Fertility Diet Guide" by Niels H. Lauerson, M.D., Ph.D & Colette Bouchez.  (Click here for their website.)  In this book they list foods that can help increase your fertility.  I'm listing them here for you.


The Six Super Fertility Food Boosters:

1.  Wild Organic Blueberries - half a cup per day can help fertility, plus lower cholesteral, fight high blood pressure, and help protect you from cancer.  Remember, what's good for your body is also good for fertility!

2.  Cruciferous Vegetables - broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, kale, cabbage, bok choy, etc.  Also good for men's fertility!

3.  Onions and Garlic - also leeks, scallions, chives, etc.  Can help to repair damaged DNA and lowers inflammation.  Can help particularly those women diagnosed with endometriosis or PCOS.

4.  Green Tea - This is another paradox because caffeine is said to decrease fertility.  However, the compound known as EGCG which is found in green tea helps increase the number of eggs available for fertilization.  Effective when combined with IVF.  The book says not to drink more than 7 cups per week though.  (Probably b/c of the caffeine thing.)

5. Nuts!  Almonds, cashews, walnuts, and more - The good fats and antioxidants contained in nuts are why these are good for fertility.   Exception:  Peanuts!  They are BAD for fertility because of the plant estrogens which can affect hormone levels in women and slow down sperm production and motility in men.

6.  Sunflower seeds, Pumpkin seeds, and Wheat Germ - I'm gluten-intolerant so I'm going to avoid the wheat germ but I eat pumpkin and sunflower seeds regularly.  Apparently, it's the good fats, vitamin E, zinc, and B6 which make these fertility super foods.

Do any of you know about the fertility diet?  I'm just getting started reading about it.  Eat up and good luck to all!

2 comments:

  1. I need to email you some of the recipes from the Sneaky Chef book! It helps add many of the fruits and veggies that are recommended in this. And it is served in a very yummy way!
    I made a "Legal Donut" for my family the other day (I Told you the ingredients) and they LOVED IT! I even got my parents to try it and they liked it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Legal donut? What's in it? I've gotta check out that sneaky chef book! I haven't gotten around to it yet.
    I have been adding broccoli slaw to my salads. You don't even notice it's there.

    ReplyDelete