The road to wellness isn't straight, clear, or predictable. It's a path you forge yourself.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Stuffed Pumpkin! (Vegan and Gluten-Free!)


Yes, I know it has been FOREVER since I posted on this blog.  I haven't forgotten about it, I've just been really busy.  Anyway, I was making this stuffed pumpkin today and I thought I would share it with you.  I got this from a magazine ages ago, and I have modified it to be gluten-free.   If you are vegan, this is a WAY better-tasting alternative than Tofurkey.  (Trust me.)  Another plus, it makes a beautiful center-piece!

Stuffed Pumpkin (Prep time = 1 hour; cook time = 1 1/2 hours)
Note:  I do all my crumbling and chopping in the food processor.  Saves loads of time!

Ingredients:
1 5 lb. pumpkin
1 1/4 cup cooked, brown rice
1 cup crumbled gluten-free sandwich-type bread
1 cup gluten-free corn bread
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped parsley
2 chopped apples
1/4 cup dried cranberries (I use 1/2 cup of fresh cranberries when available.)
1/2 cup chestnuts (Brazil nuts or hazelnuts are good if you can't find chestnuts.)
1/2 cup pistachios
1/4 cup canola oil
1-2 cups veggie broth (I use Imagine Foods "No Chicken Broth")
2 T soy sauce (I use gluten-free Tamari)


Directions:
1.  Cook rice and cornbread (or cheat like me and get pre-made corn bread)
2.  Wash and dry pumpkin.  Cut off top and scoop out the innards and seeds.  (I like to soak the seeds in salt water for toasting later.)
3.  Preheat oven to 325  degrees farenheit.
4.  In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except for the liquids.
5.  Mix in one cup of the broth, the soy sauce, and the oil.  If needed, add up to another cup of broth.  (I usually use 1 1/2 cups of broth.)
 6. Pack mixture into pumpkin.  Bake 1 1/2 hours or until pierced easily with a fork.  (I usually make this a day ahead, refrigerate it overnight, then bake it the next day.)
7.  To serve, scoop out pumpkin flesh along with stuffing.

Serves 8



4 comments:

  1. Welcome Back! Thanks for sharing this unusual recipe. Sounds delicious to me. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dot! I need to get back to the blogging thing. (and reading yours!) Have had other things on my mind lately.

    I have to say, this recipe is tasty even for meat eaters. My Mom requested that I make it again this year and she's not vegan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad I found this blog!! Because of candida, I also eat gluten, sugar and dairy free. I love your recipes.... I really don't do a lot of experiementing when it comes to recipes. I use other peoples...

    I have some linkys on my blog that I hope you come over and join. One is a gluten free linky and the other is sugar free linky.

    http://myjourneywithcandida.blogspot.com/2010/01/gluten-free-blogs.html

    http://myjourneywithcandida.blogspot.com/2010/01/sugar-free-or-diabetic-bloggers-linky.html

    Hope you can stop over and link up to both of them. You have some great imformation that would be very useful to others. Terry

    By the way, I am a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome, Terry! Sorry, I've been neglecting my blog and am only just now seeing your comment. I'm glad you like the recipes. Thanks for the links! :-)

    ReplyDelete