The road to wellness isn't straight, clear, or predictable. It's a path you forge yourself.

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Verdi and Needles

Thursday night was our last big symphony concert of the season.  We ended it off big with Verdi's Requiem.  The chorus was HUGE!  There were literally hundreds of people on the stage.  It's exciting to play this kind of music.  The only bad thing was that someone's hearing aid was turned up too high and there was a hideous squeal that accompanied the first 2 movements.  Ugh!  It really was annoying and horrible.  It was driving me (and everybody else) nuts!  Luckily, our conductor is really good at handling these kinds of things.  After the second movement, he turned to the audience and explained what the noise was and he requested that people with hearing aids turn them down.  The situation was fixed immediately and didn't happen again after that.  Yay!  I'm so glad our conductor is so diplomatic.  I have known previous conductors in the past to throw absolute diva fits over things like this!

For the first time, I had my acupuncture session before I played the concert.  I really didn't know what was going to happen, but I hoped that I would be more relaxed.  Lately, I have had issues with performance anxiety which is weird because I never used to.  Over the past few years, I have developed gut issues that happen just before performance time.  It's obnoxious!  I can't eat anything except broth and rice on the day of a performance or else I'll regret it.  Anyway, I was hoping the acupuncture would help with this.

Although the session did help with a headache which was forming on the left side, I didn't notice a change in the gut issues.  However, I did feel much more relaxed and I had much less anxiety about it.  So that's good.  I didn't tell my acupuncturist about the stomach thing but maybe I should.  (duh)  Overall, I think the acupuncture is helping.  I have not had to take a day off work since I started.
 :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment