The road to wellness isn't straight, clear, or predictable. It's a path you forge yourself.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Almond Meal Muffins

Breakfast is the hardest meal for those of us who are gluten-free, dairy-free, and sugar-free.  I was very happy to find this recipe for some high-protein muffins.  These are quite tasty and less "brick-like" than other high-protein muffins I've tried.  I made a batch on Saturday, popped them in the freezer, and have been having them for breakfast and/or snacks this week. 

Almond Meal Muffins:

1 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup ground almonds (or walnuts)
3/4 cup whey protein powder (I used rice protein powder)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon coconut oil
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (alcohol-free preferred.  I used "Spice Shoppe" brand.)
2/3 cup grated carrot
2/3 cup soft tofu
Grated zest of 1 lemon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.  Mix all ingredients together and pour into muffins tins.  (The batter needed more liquid so I mixed in some soy milk when I made them.)  Bake 20-25 minutes.

High-protein, low-carb, high-fiber, and delicious!  :-) 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lyn, fantastic looking recipe :) As I am allergic to soy (tofu) I was wondering if you could please suggest a substitute. Thanks, Shelley

    ReplyDelete