The road to wellness isn't straight, clear, or predictable. It's a path you forge yourself.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Quiche for Breakfast!

I have been frustrated because I have gained 5 pounds this past week.  Even though I'm still eating really healthily.  Argh!  Stupid, stupid weight gain!  I'm thinking that maybe it's because I've been eating too many carbs.  (Even though they were healthy carbs!)

I read recently that eating cereal for breakfast makes you fat.  The sugared kind especially, but also the "healthy" kind.  Apparently, most breakfast cereals have glycemic indexes that are higher than a Snickers bar.  I also read that eating eggs for breakfast can help you lose weight by helping to curb your appetite all day long.  So this week, I wanted to try eating eggs for breakfast.

Well, who has time to cook eggs in the mornings?  I don't!  So I thought that the easiest way to eat eggs for breakfast would be to make a quiche and have that throughout the week.  No prep time necessary!  I have had quiche for the past few mornings and I actually like it.

Here is the recipe I used from the Candida Control Cookbook.  I did make a change though.  I left out the nutmeg and put in some chopped, fresh dill instead.  This is a tip I got from my Greek mother-in-law.  She always puts dill in her spanikopita (which is amazing).  I have to say, Daisy knows what she's talking about.  Spinach and dill are a great combination!

Pecan Crust:
1/4 cup clarified butter (ghee)
1 cup ground fresh pecans (I ground them in a food processor)

Melt butter in a small skillet; remove from heat.  Add pecans; stir.  Spoon mixture into a greased, 8-inch pie dish, pressing against sides and bottom of dish to form crust.  Fill and bake or chill according to filling instructions.
(16 carbs)  

 Quiche Filling:
10 oz. package of frozen, chopped spinach (thawed and drained)
1 med. onion
2 tablespoons of olive oil
4 large eggs, beaten
3/4 cup homemade yogurt (the recipe calls for cottage cheese, but I am avoiding lactose so I used the homemeade yogurt.  Or you could use tofu if you  like.)
nutmeg to taste (I used chopped, fresh dill instead)
sea salt to taste

Squeeze the water out of the spinach.  Chop the onion and cook in the oil until tender.  Take off heat and add the spinach, eggs, yogurt, salt, and dill.  Mix together and pour into the pecan crust shell.  Bake in a 325 degree oven for 30 minutes.

I suppose if you wanted to make this more breakfasty you could put in some ham or bacon, but I think it's really good without it.

Does anyone out there have any other low carb breakfast ideas?

2 comments:

  1. This recipe sounds amazingly good! Love the nut crust for the quiche.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the nut crust too. Whoever came up with that is genius! Pecans make it taste sweet so it's good for pies as well.

    ReplyDelete