The road to wellness isn't straight, clear, or predictable. It's a path you forge yourself.

Friday, April 2, 2010

Second Visit to the Acupunturist

Today was my second acupuncture session.  As I was headed over there, I checked the mail and there was a hand-written card from Dr. Needle.  How nice is that?  It had a nice, peaceful picture of some green bamboo on the front and it said:
I'm glad you decided to try acupuncture and Chinese medicine, as I believe your condition will respond favorably to treatment.  As we discussed, if you can be consistent for a period of time I believe you'll see results.  See you next visit."
He's trying hard, isn't he?  His business is only about a year old so I'm sure he's still trying to grow his client base.  It was still nice to get the card though.

Last time, there were two needles that bothered me and he had to adjust them.  Today, nothing bothered me at all.  Either my body is getting used to it or Dr. Needle is adjusting to my particular body.  Anyway, it was fine.  He put the needles in the same places except instead of the neck ones, he put them on either side of my nose (to help open the sinuses).  I could see them sticking out like big 'ol walrus whiskers.  Crazy!  Again, I had to lay there for 20 minutes before he removed the needles.  After they were out he massaged my shoulders, temples, and ears.  I was calling this "shiatsu" but it's not.  It's called "Gwa Sha" (used to release tension in problem areas) and "Tui Na" (used to move Qi in various parts of the body).  

After an acupuncture session, they say not to do anything strenuous and to not take any drugs or drink alcohol for 6 hours.  I just felt extremely sleepy when I got home and took a nap.  I have to say, I have felt better for the past 3 days but I can't tell if it's from the acupuncture or from the fact that I have the week off for spring break.  The real test will be when school starts again!

I'll keep posting about my experiences with acupuncture for those that are curious.  (I have to go twice a week for the next couple of weeks.)  I'm not 100% sold on it but, like I said before, I'm willing to give it a try.  My friend's mother said that for her, it took about a month but now she doesn't have any migraines at all and she doesn't have to take her medicine.  I'm hopeful. 


  1. I Loved it - it was a wonderful experience. I hope that it helps!!!!! (It wasn't as scary as I imagined!!!!)

  2. Cool! What did you go for? Did it help?

  3. Hi Lyn,
    I really like your blogs! I, too, had many health problems and am finally through them, after 18 years. I had systemic candida, migraines, couldn't process sugar, hormones out of whack, plus even more problems. I worked my way through it with alternative practitioners and food. I have a written a manual called "Intestinal Recovery" that teaches traditional food prep and cooking techniques that help strengthen the intestines which strengthens the immune system.

    Many of my symptoms were a result of a heavily toxic body. My manual teaches a slow and gentle detox so it doesn't take over your life.

    I have also written another manual "The Art of Gluten Free Sourdough Baking" for people interested in baking their own gluten and dairy free sourdough bread. No yeast, no sugars, no soy, no gums, no chemical leaveners, no kneading and tastes great and has a long shelf life! I am committed to using only pure food ingredients.

    Not sure if you have any interest in these things but I wanted to mention them since they have helped me recover from a similar situation to yours.

    My manuals are in PDF or desktop published format and are available on my website.

    Good Luck with everything especially your adoption!

    Sharon A. Kane

    You can read about my work at

  4. Thanks for reading! It sounds like we're on the same path but you're quite a bit further than I am. I'll definitely be checking out your blogs.