The road to wellness isn't straight, clear, or predictable. It's a path you forge yourself.

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Cinnamon Rolls

I made some gluten-free, lactose-free, sugar-free cinnamon rolls today from the Candida Control Cookbook today.  This recipe used rice flour so I was dubious about it considering my terrible turnover experience.  The rolls came out really crumbly.  (Actually, a better name would be "Cinnamon Crumbles".)  They did taste good even though they don't look very appetizing.  Next time, I'm going to add an egg to the dough because I think it'll hold it together more.  I thought of adding one in as I was making this but I thought, "I'm sure this recipe knows what it's talking about.  I'll do it exactly as it says".  Hmmm....well, let's just say next time I'm definitely adding an egg!
 Here is the recipe as printed in the book if you want to try it for yourself:


Cinnamon and Nut Rolls 
Yields 1 dozen rolls

1 3/4 cups brown rice flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter - the lactose containing part is skimmed off and only the fat is left)
2/3 cup unsweetened soy milk (or almond milk)
1 tablespoon 100% pure vegetable glycerine (I know!)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Cinnamon nut topping (see below)
1 tablespoon 100% pure vegetable glycerine
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Place first 7 ingredients into a large bowl; mix with pastry blender, fork, or 2 knives.  Form dough into a ball.  Place dough on a floured board.  Roll, with a floured rolling pin, into a 1/4-inch thick rectangle.  Spread topping over dough.  Roll up lengthwise; cut into 3/4-inch slices.  Butter an 8-inch round cake pan; sprinkle remaining glycerin and cinnamon on bottom of pan.  Place rolls on top.  Bake 10-15 minutes.
(30 carbs each)


Cinnamon-Nut Topping
Yields 1 topping for 1 dozen rolls

A delicious sugar-free topping for rolls.

1/4 cup of ghee or clarified butter
1/2 cup ground fresh pecans or walnuts
1 tablespoon 100% pure vegetable glycerine
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon or more, to taste

Melt butter in a small skillet.  Add nuts, glycerine, and cinnamon; mix.  Remove from heat; cool before spreading.
(8 carbs)

No comments:

Post a Comment