The road to wellness isn't straight, clear, or predictable. It's a path you forge yourself.

Monday, March 15, 2010

A Good, Lowfat Way to Cook Chicken

Years ago when I was about to get married, I was bamboozled into going to a cooking demonstration.  They made it seem like I had won a prize and I would get a free vacation just by going to the thing.  Also, they said there would be free food there.  (Silly me, I believed them.)

Anyway, I dragged a friend and my mom to this thing and it turned out to be a sales tactic for really expensive pots and pans.  We sat through the demo, got a bite of chicken, then got the hard-sell before they gave us our coupon for a free two-nights stay in any motel 6 in the country.  (Hardly a vacation!)

I did not buy any pots or pans from them.  I was mad at them for wasting my time!  The one useful thing I got from this is I learned a really good way to cook chicken breasts with no oil.

Here is the technique:
Heat up a frying pan to medium heat.  Place the chicken breasts in the pan.  (however many will fit.  I usually do 4 at a time.)  The chicken breasts will stick to the pan.  Salt the chicken and put on whatever spices you want.  (I use garlic and oregano).  Cover with a lid.  As the chicken cooks, the fat will melt which will unstick the chicken from the pan.  When you are able to lift them, turn them over.  Again, they will stick.  Cover and cook.  When they unstick, that means they are done.
They really do come out good.  Nice and juicy and not dry at all.  (I guess the lid keeps in the moisture.)

The pot and pan people told us that you could do this technique with ONLY their pots and pans.  Whatever!  I tried it at home with my own pan  and it worked great.  I like to serve this with roasted asparagus and/or creamed spinach.

2 comments:

  1. I think I went to that demonstration with you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, that was totally you. Thank God you had the good sense to take me to Outback Steakhouse afterwards! :-)

    ReplyDelete