The road to wellness isn't straight, clear, or predictable. It's a path you forge yourself.

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Vegetable Glycerin as a Sweetener?

I have been following the Yeast Connection diet for the past few weeks and I have been using the "Candida Control Cookbook" to help me come up with yummy, legal meals.  There are several recipes in there that call for "100% vegetable glycerine" to be used as a sweetener in muffins, pies, etc.

"What!?" I thought,  "Isn't that the stuff they use in soap? Is is safe to eat?"  Well, after researching it on the internet, it seems as though it is safe it eat.  (Although yes it IS what they use in soap as well as cosmetics and things.)  They use it as a sweetener in toothpaste and in low carb foods (like Atkins bars), so apparently the FDA has approved it for human consumption.  From what I read, it is safe for diabetics as well since it doesn't affect blood sugar.  I'm still dubious about it though.  Especially in light of my previous post.

Vegetable glycerin is derived from coconut or palm oils.  Since it does seem to be a natural substance, I decided to try it.  However, I am still following my "s" rule and won't have it during the week.  I figure that if I only have it on the weekends, in small amounts, it probably won't hurt.  Besides, on my diet there is no other allowed sweetener. 

I tried a bit by itself just to see what it tastes like.  It tastes sweet, but kind of has a weird almost bitter foretaste.  (Apparently, you don't notice it when you use it in recipes though.)  I made a "Mock Margarita" (which I have dubbed "Mockarita") with it last night and was pleasantly surprised.  It really did taste surprisingly similar to a margarita!  (Since I can't have any alcohol either, it was quite a treat.)
Here is the recipe from the Candida Control Cookbook if you want to try it for yourself: 


Mock Margarita (or Mockarita!)
makes 2 servings

5 fresh limes, scrubbed and cut in half
sea salt
1 1/2 cups crushed ice
2 tablespoons 100% pure vegetable glycerin

Using 2 large Margarita or wine glasses, rub 1/2 lime around rims.  Pour salt on a small, flat plate.  Roll rims of glasses in salt.  Squeeze juice of rest of limes into a blender, reserving 1/2 lime for garnish.  Add ice and glycerin.  Mix until foamy.  Pour beverage into glasses.  Cut reserved lime half into 2 wedges; garnish.

Note:  If you don't have a yeast problem and you want to make it alcoholic, go ahead and add a couple of shots of tequila!  I put a shot of it in my husband's and he liked it.  It's still healthier than most margarita mixes. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi

    Just found your website on google. I have just recently started going on the candida diet and was looking for information about vegetable glycerin.

    I found out that it is best to use glycerin in your baking as it is also a raising agent.

    Great informative site as well.
    Good Job:)

    Eleanor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Good tip about the baking as well. I had not heard that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vegetable Glycerin is added to soap in order to produce extra moisturizing properties and to ensure a clear finish. It is easily dissolved into water and alcohol, but does not mix well in oils.This product has hygroscopic properties.

    ReplyDelete