The road to wellness isn't straight, clear, or predictable. It's a path you forge yourself.

Monday, March 29, 2010

Lemon Meringue Pie

Okay so I feel like I  have to redeem  myself after that cinnamon roll post.  Here is the final recipe from the Candida Control Cookbook that I'm going to put up this week.  Lemon Meringue Pie!  It came out great!  I have to say though, that the sweetness of this pie is different from what you're used to.  I haven't had any sugar at all for several weeks now so it tasted like heaven to me.  My sugar-eating husband was less enthusiastic.  If you can't have gluten, lactose, or sugar though this makes a pretty awesome dessert.

Lemon Meringue Pie
Yields  6 servings

Crust:
1/4 cup clarified butter (ghee)
1 cup ground fresh pecans (I ground them in a food processor)

Melt butter in a small skillet; remove from heat.  Add pecans; stir.  Spoon mixture into a greased, 8-inch pie dish, pressing against sides and bottom of dish to form crust.  Fill and bake or chill according to filling instructions.
(16 carbs)

Filling:
3 large eggs
3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder
1 cup water*
2 teaspoons alcohol-free lemon flavoring* (the recipe calls for "Bickford's" but I found another brand at Whole Foods.)
3 tablespoons 100% pure vegetable glycerine
Meringue Topping (see below)

Separate eggs.  Place yolks and arrowroot powder in to the top of a double boiler; add water and flavoring.  Using a whisk, mix over medium heat until thick.  Remove from  heat; cool.  Add glycerine; stir.  Pour into crust.  Cover with Meringue Topping.  Bake in 400 degree F oven for 10 minutes or until delicately brown.  Chill at least 2 hours before serving.
(7 carbs per serving) 

Meringue Topping:
2 large egg whites (I have to say, I used all 3 of the whites from the 3 yolks in the above recipe and it came out fine.)
1 tablespoon 100% pure vegetable glycerine
1/4 teaspoon alcohol-free vanilla flavoring (Spice Shoppe is a good brand)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees farenheit.  Beat whites until stiff.  Fold in glycerine and vanilla.  Spoon over pie filling.  Bake 10 minutes, or until browned.

* Note:  Instead of lemon flavoring and water, it seems like you could just use lemon juice instead.  I'm going to try it next time.  Why use flavoring when you can use the natural stuff?

No comments:

Post a Comment